Application to upper secondary school
Information and tips for those planning to apply to upper secondary school, or special needs upper secondary school. The City of Stockholm is the authority in charge of the municipal schools. Independent schools have their own board of directors that are in charge.
Before you apply
You must select the program and school that you would like to attend. The Study and Career Advisor at your school can help you prior to making your choice and submitting your application for upper secondary school or special needs upper secondary school.
Things to find out
- which program and courses are right for you
- which programs are offered at a school close to you
- what is required to be eligible for a program
We suggest that you ask and get advice from as many people as possible before you decide. Parents, other adults and your friends will all have different knowledge, experience and advice. The Study and Career Advisor at your school can also help you find answers to your questions.
If you are newly arrived to Sweden, you can get help with your placement at school.
Enrolment at upper secondary school for those who have newly arrived to Sweden
Finding an upper secondary school or special needs upper secondary school
There are many upper secondary schools and special needs upper secondary schools in the City of Stockholm. There are both municipal and independent schools to choose from.
Find an upper secondary school (in Swedish)
Find a special needs upper secondary school (in Swedish)
You can get information about the school programs in a variety of ways.
- read what is posted on the school’s website or follow the school in social media
- visit the fair for upper secondary school (Gymnasiemässan) or fair for special needs upper secondary school (Gymnasiesärskolemässan)
- attend the school’s open house to try it out.
Apply to the Upper Secondary School Admissions Office in the Stockholm Region
You apply via the Gymnasieantagningen STORSTHLM website. There are instructions posted there on how to apply. There are also important dates on
- when you can apply
- when you can make changes (re-select)
- when you will receive notification of acceptance.
Gymnasieantagningens STORSTHLM website